OpenEMR (Electronic Medical Records)
OpenEMR is an open source, free, web based application which is used for electronic health records and medical practice management. It is a cross platform application and runs fine on all popular operating system like Microsoft Windows, Linux and Mac OS. It is easy to configure and use, lightweight and fast, you can install and access it remotely from anywhere in the world. It used MySQL on the backend for storing medical records and front end of the application is developed in PHP.
OpenEMR is supported by a strong community of volunteers and professionals all with the common goal of making OpenEMR a superior alternative to its proprietary counterparts. The OpenEMR community is dedicated to guarding OpenEMR’s status as a free, open source software solution for medical practices and is dedicated to maintaining a spirit of openness, kindness and cooperation.
To Install OpenEMR
1) To Download OpenEMR from sourceforge:
OPENEMR-4.2.0.TAR.GZ (MD5 SUM: 94272F51773A702D2EEB6DE5A1F3F1B4)
2) To extract the downloades archive & change the name
TAR -PXVZF OPENEMR-4.2.0.TAR.GZ
3) Move this extracted to your webserver root directory.
4) Refer to your OS & webserver documentation to obtain your webserver root directory.
For example, if your using Ubuntu’s , then the webserver root directory is in the
Configuring the Install through the WEB GUI
1) Open web-browser and point it to the installation script at
Following Screen gives some general instructions and ensures file and directory permissions are set up correctly. It should tell you all your file system permissions are good, and have a ‘Continue’ button on the bottom of the form.
2) Click the ‘Continue’ button. Otherwise, If there are errors on this screen, then follow instructions to fix.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 1’
3) Set to ‘Have setup create the database’ button
4) Click the ‘Continue’ button.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 2’
5) Read the following information.
Enter a ‘Password’ for the sql user, ‘openemr’, in the MySQL Server section
Enter an ‘Initial User Password’ for ‘Initial User’, admin
DO NOT make any other entries, besides the two above
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 3
6) Read the instruction and Click the ‘Continue’ button.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 4’
7) Click the ‘Continue’ button.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 5’
8) Read and follow the instructions carefully.
9) Click the ‘Continue’ button.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’ ‘Step 6’
10) Read and follow the instructions carefully.
11) Click the ‘Continue’ button.
The next page is ‘OpenEMR Setup’
12) Click here to start using OpenEMR link.
13) OpenEMR after installation: